Reserve toss in twisted heli or tailslide-quickouts?

Wondering if I can get a few thoughts from the more experienced acro peeps. My buddy got hurt the other day when both of his reserves ended up going into his wing. He was twisted up and the glider was either in heli or tailslide. He wasn't falling fast enough for the reserve to deploy and I think it just wrapped around the lines. He ended up hitting the ground and got very lucky with a broken foot.

my question is...do you think it would be wise, if he had quick outs, to try and let the wing go after the first reserve went into the canopy? Has anyone ever tried this or experienced this?

I think we are all considering the BASE harness after this accident. We had been towing a lot over water but the boat broke and now we have been practicing in the desert. Good for no obstacles and coming down under reserve but not so cool if the reserve doesn't deploy..

Latest Comments

derschoeneledge's picture

Though I have no own experiences I was also thinking several times about what I would do in this situation:
For me i came to the conclusion I would (if I have the balls and one joker is already fucked up) just open one side of the Quickouts and immediately throw the second rescue until the sinking rate gets too high (which could lead to material failure).
Of course this thoughts sounds crazy but does anybody have a better idea except the base system?