Learning MacTwist

Hey Guys,

What is your opinion of MacTwist ? I see many pilots throwing reserves for MacTwist. Is it a stable maneuver if done properly or an extremely sensitive maneuver to get right.

Are there tricks to learn this safely?

Thanking you in advance for all the information.

Latest Comments

felixB's picture

Thank you David! So it looks like you suggest learning Misty before MacTwist. Am I correct? I was thinking of learning MacTwist before Misty because I thought Mactwist is just more energetic spins and Misty was more like a heli on a swing.

My progression path for Mactwist was to start doing straight flight spins-> then make small swing spins/Pitch spins-> small wingover spins..which should give me a good understanding of Mactwist.

My plan to not twist was (1) keep energy low and (2) not try to brake the outside. But I am new to this maneuver. If you suggest Mysti first I can take a look at it.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

yamadav's picture

It can depend of the wing and TOF. Very sensitive maneuver.If you do reserve with a McTwist it's because you pulled it to fast, to soon, a lot too late or in the reverse angle. The is many ways to make it bad, few ways to make it right. Depending of your wing and TOF the right way will change. I mastered McTwist just by doing a LOT and understanding the dynamics begind it. With every wing I had it was different. Do a lot and you will find the way to make em good with your current wing. Then repeat. BTW, I don't know your level but the safest and easiest way to begin is by making strait flying spins and than making mystis sooner and sooner and sooner. Then take a 1/4 turn of energy and pull when you arrive Under. This is the way I begun. Then, it's all about hard work. Good luck.