26m Thriller 2K11 For Everyday Flying

Okay, need some input... Hopefully there are some pilots out there who have flown the new 2K11 26m Thriller as an everyday wing?

I have an 20m Thriller coming for towing, but for everyday flying the reality for me is that owning a full on XC wing does not work... cause eventually I wanna wang it around. Unfortunately it seems that almost every DHV2 and 2/3 glider out there is way way too XC orientated for my taste, and even your standard SAT experience is ruined by flapping wing tips.

I used to own an Addict, and it was one of the last DHV2 wings that I owed that was fun to throw around while doing a decent job at XC. Right now I have actually gone back to a DHV1-2 (25m Niviuk Hook 2) that I am really liking for just cruising. So, the question is... How well will the new 26m Thriller fill this role... My all up is 107kg...

Thanks in advance for any insights... Jon

Latest Comments

bambam's picture

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I am off to Ghana to fly tandems in Nkawkaw at the spring festival, and will be back around May 2nd. Hopefully Pal will have gotten further down the path in his "Wing Loading" tests, and I am looking forward to seeing how that 26m wing goes with his take off weight!

Fly hard, Throw High and Often! Jon

trendkill's picture

willyanrod, read the news at u-turn website at left side. THRILLER 2k11 as Freestyler...
The 24er-glider is for pilots within the range of 75 to approx 110 kg a high performance Freestyler, over it, during used surface loading up to 140 kg, behaves it more n? more as an Acro wing: Directly and full blooded. The 26 size is suitable for take-off weights of 85 to approx 120 kg for experienced leisure pilots. The closer one moves to the 150kg, the 26 seriously transforms to the acro wing.

unknow's picture

Pál I have a friend and he fly with a Thriller 18. He say to me is a dynamic but very stable glider and is possible to make a big Thriller for freestyle maybe secure like a DHV 2 glider.What you think about that...Now I'm starting in acro make large pitch and roll moviments stall control and deep spiral I'm think close to make a SAT! \o/ with a ozone Buzz Z 22 and in the end of this year maybe buy a freestyle wing...My naked weight is 70kg and thinking about Thriller 24 what you can say about this?

PalTakats's picture

I am between 73-74 kg naked.

trendkill's picture

Pali, then you can try the Twin Force alone also... ;)

Wallis's picture

Pal what is your naked weight now?

Hollywood's picture

I also would suggest a 24. Out here in Australia we also don't have big mountains so for all around good fun that would be a good size... I Guess if I ever get to fly full time in Europe then a 18 or 20 would be great. :-)

PalTakats's picture

Hi guys,

I just got the chance to try some of the bigger sizes of the Thriller. Had a cool thermal flight with the 26m2, I think it climbs pretty well. Made a few tricks like helico to helico, dynamic full stall, wing overs. The brake-lenght is longer and the brakes are heavier then what I am used to (with smaller sizes), so you need more force to steer the glider. Everything is a bit slower, easier, you have more time to control so it is great to do helicopters. It's pretty cool to do wing overs even with my weight , it just needs hard brake inputs, but there's good energy.

I am heading down to Garda Lake in a week, there I'll give them a real try (ahhhahahaah!) and post some videos here.

The main goal is of course: Infinity Tumbling with 26m2 and 95 kg take-off weight :-)
Stay tuned!

panzar's picture

I fly a 20 with 70 kg naked weight in belgium ... thermals fine ... but you are faster then everyone else ... so often you have to thermal around the others :D

cybergene66's picture

Wallis.

Absolutely agree, for your weight and the location 26 m2 may be perfect. But it's windy where I fly in New York and I'm 83 kg naked (almost naked) and 101kg all up.
I wish I could try before I buy.

Cheers.

Wallis's picture

Hi .

Well ive ordered one and Im sure Its going to be an awesome wing. I need a wing which I can thermal up with aswell (as we dont have high mountains in South-Africa) so I took the 26sq and my naked weight is 81kg. I email Thomas (owner of U-Turn) and he said: " Infinity Tumble should be possible" so..... I lukely have a Nikita 2 aswell but Im sure Im gona love my new Thriller.

Wallis

trendkill's picture

One of my friend tried the Thriller 2k11 24 size. His takeoff weight is 110 kg, and he says this glider is much much more dinamic as his previous glider, an Airwawe Burn 21. Even the Thriller is more bigger than the Burn.

bambam's picture

Gene,

Let me know how it goes! I am tyring to figure out how to balance the thin line between having a good wing that will work in light conditons, but still be fun too fly... Right now the towing will be taking priority and I am not rushing out to purchase the larger Thriller yet.

As a skier I have a saying about Indian's and Arrows... So at some level I gotta stop blaming the equipment and start pointing the finger at myself...

Fly on, Jon

cybergene66's picture

Jon
I'm the same weight all up and would suggest 24m instead if you do not like wings flapping. :)
I'm in the process of getting one myself.

Gene