Brake pressure

I'm currently flying a F-grav 2 22 but I'm looking for something with lighter brake pressure, what would you guys recommend?

I'll be soaring it quite a bit in the UK so good performance would be a bonus so I guess a freestyle wing would be better than a full on acro wing? I know the freestyle 3 is good for soaring but I've heard it's not so good for tricks?

I was thinking maybe one of the bigger Sophies? My AUW is about 115-120 kg.

Latest Comments

paal's picture

Gradient have as a general rule low brake pressure.

slyski's picture

Harry, if you are looking for a freestyle glider with light brake pressure your best choice is FS3.
It has much lighter brake pressure than FG2 and Octane and probably the best glide.
FS3 is good for tricks, not as dynamic as FG2 but more forgiving shoot.

Harry B's picture

Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't be doing any proper acro on it in the UK for the obvious reasons!
I'll have a chat with Richard and see what he says, it's normally pretty hard to get demos in the UK, especially for acro wings!

Martini's picture

Carefull!
Using an acrowing for low training is dangerous, if you are not 100 % confident in flying those type of wings!
Take the Freestyle3 or the the Octane2 in bigger sizes (especially with your weight) if you want to soar high and even on light wind conditions! It is going to be so much more fun playing safe than flying only 50% of your potential and shitting yourself on a acro wing with bad glide ratio.
Forget what you have heard about the Freestyle3 and go test it if possible and build your own opinion because nowadays the modern gliders are all pretty good.
Best regards and congratulations for the helis!

acromarmot's picture

Hi Harry B,

I had basically the same issue when I wanted to change from my Instinct 2 A....Brake pressure being too big, speed being quite low,... After some discussions (Richard from AirG was really helpful in this matter) I decided to take an Emilie Peace 22 m² instead of the Sophie and ..I'm happy :- ) The brake pressure is - from my point of view- soft and easy to handle. It's a great wing for training, soaring (I live near the coast) and thermalling. The glide ratio is so-so. But that's not the purpose of the wing anyways ;- ) If I could do all the tricks the wing can do with the right pilot I'd be blown ... My take-off weight is 90, so with you the wing's gonna be a bit more dynamic I guess....

By the way, Richard is pretty swift to send a demo glider....
Hope that helps,

Kalman's picture

How about a 22 sqm Emilie?